<==== Sam's Laser FAQ ====>
Safety, Info, Links, Parts, Types, Drive, Construction
A Practical Guide to Lasers for Experimenters and Hobbyists
Note: These links take you to the version of Sam's Laser FAQ located at
thetottenhamshop.com, (which also duplicates the Table of Contents, below). To
return to this page, use the 'Back' or 'Go' button on your browser, the
'Ring' link near the end of the Table of Contents, or add
The Sam's Laser FAQ
Portal of The Laser, Optics, and Holography Ring link to your bookmarks
Back to Sam's Laser FAQ Welcome Page.
Table of Contents
- Foreword - How Sam's Laser FAQ evolved into what it is today and other tid-bits.
- Preface - Author & copyright, DISCLAIMER, acknowledgements, request.
- Introduction - Scope, purpose, and organization of this document, related information.
PART I - Basics, Safety, General Information, Instruments, Applications, Experiments
- What is a Laser and How Does It Work? - The laser age, principles, types, on-line tutorial, lasers as a hobby.
- Laser Safety - Hazards to vision, other issues, 100 W light bulb versus 1 mW laser, safety classifications, links.
- Items of Interest - Laser power meters, Fabry-Perot and DFB types, wavelengths, speckle, collimation, etc.
- Laser Instruments and Applications - Rangefinders, interferometers, gyros, light shows, laser TV, Fourier optics.
- Laser Experiments and Projects - Basic to advanced including diffraction, interference, holography, display, more.
PART II - Print/Web Laser and Optics Resources, Laser and Parts Suppliers, Manufacturers
- Laser Information Resources - Books, magazines, collections, patents; Web newsgroups, lists, forums, links.
- Laser and Parts Sources - Walk-in, mail order, high quality, surplus, component and system manufacturers.
PART III - Lasers Based on Commercial Components - Diode, HeNe, Ion, CO2, HeCd, SS
- Diode Lasers - Basic considerations, visible and IR (e.g., from CD player) types, testing, visibility, collimation.
- Diode Laser Power Supplies - Drive requirements, modulation, sample circuits for low and high power devices.
- Helium-Neon Lasers - Theory (simple), operation, sealed tube structure, characteristics, power requirements.
- Commercial Unstabilized HeNe Lasers - Specific models from Melles Griot, Spectra-Physics, Coherent, more.
- Commercial Stabilized HeNe Lasers - Specific Models from Hewlett Packard/Agilent, Zygo, Teletrac/Axsys, more.
- HeNe Laser Testing, Adjustment, Repair - Problems, testing, mirror alignment, collimation, polarization, refilling.
- HeNe Laser Power Supplies - Requirements, types, plug-n-lase, matching tube to PS, testing, problems, repair.
- HeNe Laser Power Supply Design - AC line powered, low voltage inverters, starters, regulators, modulators.
- Complete HeNe Laser Power Supply Schematics - Includes 11 AC line and 5 inverter types, most you can build.
- Argon/Krypton Ion Lasers - General features and characteristics, basic power requirements, specific examples.
- Ar/Kr Ion Laser Testing, Maintenance, Repair - Tube life, problems, testing, general maintenance, alignment.
- Ar/Kr Ion Laser Power Supplies - Basic requirements, types, specific safety issues, testing, problems, repair.
- Ar/Kr Ion Laser Power Supply Design - AC line front-ends, igniters, linear and switchmode regulators, protection.
- Complete Ar/Kr Ion Laser Power Supply Schematics - Both linear and switching types using common parts.
- Carbon Dioxide Lasers - Characteristics and requirements, applications, small sealed tubes, gas fill, optics.
- Helium-Cadmium Lasers - Characteristics, power supplies, HeCd laser head and PSU troubleshooting.
- Solid State Lasers - Characteristics, types, pulsed/CW, Q-switching, frequency changing, common SS lasers.
- Commercial SS Lasers - Hughes M60, SSY1, C215/315/415M, C532, uGreen, MG-BLD/GSD, LWE-221, more.
- SS Laser Testing, Adjustment, Repair - Cleaning, cooling, alignment, tuning, beam quality and energy.
- SS Laser Power Supplies - Capacitor chargers, PFNs, PSLOLS10在线直播下注using photoflash units, sources for special parts.
- Complete SS Laser Power Supply Schematics - Circuits for the Hughes ruby and YAG lasers, uYAG, more.
PART IV - Lasers Constructed from Basic Materials, Hardware, Optics, and Electronic Parts
- Amateur Laser Construction - Resources, safety, the home laser lab, supplies, vacuums, glass working, more.
- Vacuum Technology for LOLS10在线直播下注-Built Gas Lasers - Vacuum basics, pumps, gauges, components, testing, repair.
- The LOLS10在线直播下注-Built Laser Assembly and Power Supply - Structure, optics, mirror mounts, electrical components.
- LOLS10在线直播下注-Built Laser Types, Information, and Links - Introduction to laser descriptions and "Light and its Uses".
- LOLS10在线直播下注-Built Helium-Neon (HeNe) Laser - Much like the original gas laser from 1962 produces a red beam.
- LOLS10在线直播下注-Built Pulsed Argon and/or Krypton (Ar/Kr) Ion Laser - A similar gas laser produces multiple color beam.
- LOLS10在线直播下注-Built Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Laser - High power (10 to 50 W or more) flowing gas infra-red laser.
- LOLS10在线直播下注-Built Nitrogen (N2) Laser - Pulsed ultraviolet laser that is easy to construct without fancy equipment.
- LOLS10在线直播下注-Built Helium-Mercury (HeHg) and Other He-Metal-Vapor Lasers - Operation at multiple visible wavelengths.
- LOLS10在线直播下注-Built Copper Chloride (CuCl) and Copper Bromide (CuBr) Laser - Pulsed intense yellow and green beam.
- LOLS10在线直播下注-Built Dye Laser - Generate almost any color of the spectrum depending on which chemical dye is used.
- LOLS10在线直播下注-Built Pulsed Multiple Gas (PMG) Laser - Simple design uses O2, Xe, Ar, Kr, or Ne; maybe even plain air.
- LOLS10在线直播下注-Built Pulsed Solid State (PSS) Laser - Basic ruby or Nd:YAG laser system using flashlamp pumping.
- LOLS10在线直播下注-Built Diode Pumped Solid State (DPSS) Laser - Vanadate with KTP SHG for 1 mW to 5 W green output.
Resources Associated with Sam's Laser FAQ (Not part of FAQ distribution)
Documents Useful for Laser System Design, Construction, Troubleshooting, and Repair
- Safety Guidelines for High Voltage and/or Line Powered Equipment - Essential Safety Document
- Sam's Strobe FAQ - Electronic Flash Units and Strobe Lights - Operation, design, many complete schematics.
- Sam's Schematic Collection - Assortment includes LV and HV power supplies, inverters, battery charges, more.
- Simple High Voltage Generator - 12 VDC in, 12 kV out, using a flyback transformer and a handful of other parts.
- Basics of High Voltage Probe design - Measurements up to 25 kV or more using almost any VOM or DMM.
- Salvaging Interesting Gadgets, Components, and Subsystems - Nifty uses for all that stuff that gets thrown away.
- Capacitor Testing, Safe Discharging, and Other Related Information - Also: ESR, reforming electrolytics, more.
- Testing of Flyback (LOPT) Transformers - Principles of operation, construction, troubleshooting, sample schematic.
- Testing of Discrete Semiconductors with a DMM or VOM - Transistors, MOSFETs, thyristors, LEDs, optos, more.
- Sam's Neat, Nifty, and Handy Bookmarks - Over 1,000 links to science and technology Web sites.
- Silicon Sam's Technology Resource - All of the above and other repair and electronics information.
- Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Main Menu - Older versions of the above and contributions from others.
- LOLS10在线直播下注 and Mirror Site Locations - Where to
access or download the latest versions of these documents.